Saturday, February 9, 2013

LOWER-SODIUM CRESCENT BREAKFAST CASSEROLE
(The only sodium is what is naturally in the foods.  To lower the sodium even further, use low sodium substitutes for the Canadian Bacon, green chiles and Cheese.)

This morning I wanted to make something more than just toast, cereal or any of the other quickies. So I took some inspiration from Pinterest and made it my own. Just FYI, I have been cooking for almost 40 years (since I was old enough to hold a spoon) so I am now at the point where I rarely follow a recipe exactly. (My teenage son says that most of my food is pretty good too....high praise from a teenager.) I look for recipes similar to what I want and see what ingredients they used. Then I decide what ingredients I WANT based on WHAT I HAVE. I really hate running to the store in the middle of a cooking 'expedition'. Also, I have sodium issues so I don't normally add it to recipes. If you would like more salt, add it. However, my recipes don't normally tend to need it as I use a variety of spices.



This is what I came up with (in it’s uncooked version):




Ingredients:

½ roll of crescent dough
5 eggs
½ can of diced green chiles
¼ cup of milk
¼- ½ tsp cumin (depends on your taste)
¾ cup of shredded Mexican style cheese (my store brand has Monterey jack, mild cheddar, queso quesadilla, & asadero cheeses)
4 slices of the large Canadian bacon rounds (cut into 1/8 size wedges)
1 Tblsp oil (for greasing the pan or just use spray)

Preparation
1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
2. Grease 8x8 or 9x9 pan.
3. Spread crescent dough in a layer across the bottom of the pan. Pinch together so that none of the pan is showing. If you would like it going up the sides too then add more of the dough.
4. Spread most of the Canadian bacon wedges around the bottom. Reserve about ¼ for the top.
5. In a medium sized bowl, mix together eggs and milk. Whip briefly (I used a fork.)
6. Add green chiles, milk, cumin, and ½ of the cheese. Mix together and pour over the dough and bacon.
7. Spread the rest of the bacon and cheese over the top.
8. Bake for 30-45 minutes until the egg is set and no longer runny in the middle.
9. Remove from oven and let cool for about 10 min.
10. Serve with garnishes of your choice. I used salsa, sour cream and a few more sprinkles of grated cheese.

And here is what it looks like baked! Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment